Sunday, June 8, 2008

What's Up?

Some random posts on how the Blackbird family is doing:

We are busy. No wonder summer freaking flies by every year. We've been to the children's festival, Elk Island, to the lake house (my, doesn't that sound fancy!), spent afternoons in the kiddie pool and mornings in some of the river valley parks. The baby I look after is moving away soon as well (sniff) so I've been doing extra days to help her parents out while they get ready for the move.

Mr Blackbird is building Blackbird Jr a playhouse which is probably going to turn out nicer than our actual house. So far the plan is for a tower, balcony, a special window for playing store (which may have an awning, natch) and a place to later add a slide. Oh yeah and secret entrances. Maude, I wish I were 5 years old again; I'd be consumed with sheer joy.

Speaking of Blackbird Jr, he was under the slide part of his climber today and told me "mama, I have a chrysalis in my house!". I peeked under to see not a chrysalis but a wasp nest 2 inches from his face. Eeeek!

I am so excited for some of the summer movies coming out, lots of fodder for pure brainless entertainment. I'm going to go see this one tomorrow, which looks sweet and fun:



As always, still reading and crafting. I am actually working Blackbird Jr's christmas stocking *again*, as I started it a year and a half ago. Maybe it will be done for Christmas 2008. or 2009. Right now I am looking forward to reading "Food, Not Lawns" as part of my investigation into edible gardening. I know zip about gardnening, but I'm interested in replacing the front lawn with some xeriscaping and berry bushes. I have no idea if that's going to work or not, but I want to do something about the lawn next summer so am starting to look into it now.

We're also doing some home renos and I look forward to eventually getting the bathtub that's been in my living room for a month transferred into the actual bathroom. That's right, the bathroom reno we started 2 (or was it 3?) years ago is once again moving ahead! It's a miracle, really. Once the tub and floor is in, I am going to redo our bedroom, which I am looking forward to. I painted it a dark blue years ago, wanting to create a cozy atmosphere but now it's become more dark and dreary so I want to lighten it up.

I also want to recommend my new favourite cafe- Wild Earth Cafe on 99st and 89 ave. It's just north of Whyte Avenue by the Wild Earth grocery. I have been digging their coffee and tea and have been sorely tempted by some delicious-looking nanaimo bars the size of my hand. I've resisted thus far, but the bites I've had of Blackbird Jr's berry tarts and Mr Blackbird's ginger cookies (their faves) have been very, very yummy. It's so nice just to wander around old neighbourhoods again looking at interesting houses and enjoying being outdoors.

No comments: