We went out to the
Strathcona Wilderness Centre this week. I hadn't been there before and really enjoyed it. There are lots of different trails in easy, intermediate or difficult designations. We didn't see any wildlife (other than a mouse) but we found some animal tracks* and I really just enjoyed all the pretty scenery. The trails were well-marked and the kids especially enjoyed a little boardwalk into a black spruce bog. It was interesting how just a few feet off of the birch and aspen trail there was an entirely different kind of scenery and likely a very different ecosystem too. There were signs along the trails letting you know about different plants and animals. The kids were also very excited about the hands-on display in the lodge where they touched some animal bones and other things like old wasp nests. I definitely want to go back and try some other trails.



* K, I read a joke that reminded me of us trying to figure out what the tracks we saw were:
3 stupids are on a walk when they find some tracks on the ground. The first stupid says "I think these are coyote tracks!". The second stupid says "no, no, they are deer tracks." The third stupid says "they look like cow tracks to me".
Then they all got hit by the train.
3 comments:
where is the stratchcona wildnerness centre? looks lovely.
Oops, I forgot to add a link:
www.strathcona.ab.ca/wildernesscentre
hahahaha @ the joke!
Post a Comment