Monday, March 30, 2009

On the Last Night You Were 4

On the last day you were four, we went to the zoo. You were far more interested in muddy snow hills, mud puddles, and the new bubble blower you bought with your birthday money than any of the animals, even the young tigers. We saw a baby Takin and your response was "a hill!" and you ran down it with your friends K & I.

We did errands in the morning and you continued to impress me with your new maturity. You've changed so much in the last few months. You paid for your bubble blower with your own money this morning, which you were too shy to do previously. You're no longer scared of the river valley trails and you surprise me with what you are willing to try.

You love to eat raw spinach leaves, dipping them into ranch dip although you won't touch noodles in any kind of sauce. You tell me that you are a good ice walker, that you are very fast, that you are the fastest walker, that you are very strong, stronger than daddy even and that you are good at building things. Earlier this year you told me "I am so mad! I am going to make a RUDE FACE!" Then you went to your craft box, drew the rude face and cut it out.

We read Charlotte's Web last week and today you told me today "I miss Charlotte and Wilbur". I asked if you would like to see a movie about Charlotte and Wilbur and you said no. You said "I know what we can do if we miss them. We can read the book again!" I asked what your favourite part was and you said "when Charlotte's babies hatched." You shone with delight when we read about the baby spiders emerging from the egg sac Charlotte had so carefully spun before dying. You snuggled up as I read, all wriggly with a big grin on your face, radiant yourself.

3 comments:

The MIKK Family said...

Aw, very nice :) K didn't understand why the party wasn't tomorrow, so he said he would like to call E and wish him a Happy Birthday instead, since the party is Saturday and that is SO FAR AWAY!

Today was lovely and a great way to end a year of being 4!

miss b said...

sweet post :)

Keet said...

Awww, It must be so amazing to see these subtle and wonderful changes... Thinking of you both and loving you muchly!!!