Last year we thought we were being very clever parents and avoiding an over-candy trap by purchasing hollow little eggs that we could put one or two smarties in or a small toy car. Bah.
This article describes a small study done in a course with graduate students that found 13 out of 45 purchased easter toys had paint made with lead on them. The biggest lead hazards were found in Easter egg spinning tops, plastic Easter eggs that typically are filled at home with treats, bunny hair clips and chick-style sipper cups- in these products the lead exceeded the government standards in the US.
While the article mentions that the risk is small if a toy doesn't get chipped or is discarded before it deteriorates, they don't factor in kids like Blackbird Jr, who at almost 4 years old still randomly licks things or holds them in his mouth.
I guess I'm better off with a day of candy overload. Ha! I wrote "overlead" at first as a typo.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Guess I'm throwing out the easter tops I got. My 4 year old still puts things in his mouth too...more than my 2 year old! Thanks for the heads up! We're actually getting bike helmets for easter....but I really am throwing away the tops I had!
That's SO funny because we decided that we are going with one good, special piece of chocolate, (the Princess has been talking about Chocolate Dora for a week now since she saw her at Superstore)a book, and then little chocolate eggs to find.
I had no idea about the lead, I just hate all those plastic eggs and cheap toys with a passion, they fall apart, they are cheap..I could go on and on!
Post a Comment