Friday, October 31, 2008

Books I Read in September

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling



I still get really happy when Neville saves the day.


Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer




***SPOILERS***

What can I say? Stupid but fun. I laughed outloud when Edward remarks that the reason he is so gifted musically and so well read is that he hasn't been knocking boots for hours every night the last 100 years, unlike the rest of his family. Don't vampires have super sensitive hearing? Who'd want to live in a house with your partnered siblings, listening to them get it on all the time? And now that the vampire world knows you can make these strange, powerful, beautiful little beings by having sex with humans wouldn't there be a flood of vampire on human rape- vampires trying to create more of them? Oh, I need to just stop. The series is fun but has some serious problems and I'll leave it at that.

Shadow of the Wind- Carlos Ruiz Zafon



This book was pretty cool. Old secrets, enemies, ghosts, literature and a love story.

Sugar Queen



I enjoyed Garden Spells so wanted to give this one a try. It was too fluffy for my taste but I still enjoyed the bits of magic in it.


The Historian




I have been reading this one since August, it's a vampire novel based heavily on historical discoveries as the characters research the origins of vampires to help save a friend. It had it's good moments but some parts were lengthy and dull. I liked the characters but found the ending anti-climactic.


Quiet, Please: Dispatches from a public librarian




I wanted this one to be better than it was. I kept reading, hoping it would get better. Reading about someone else's annoying co-workers just isn't that interesting unless they are really weird. It was too bad, as I really wanted to like this book.


Keeping Faith- Jodi Picoult




Jodi Picoult writes books that are a little fluffy, fast reads and they often deal with controversial topics. This story was about a little girl in a non-religious family who starts exhibiting spiritual phenomena (seeing God, stigmata) during her parents' messy divorce.

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris (audiobook by David Sedaris)



I laughed out loud several times listening to this audiobook. A must-read or listen for any Sedaris fan.

Jurassic Park- audiobook



Most people have seen the movie, but Jurassic Park is also a very good book. The story goes into more detail of course and there are lots exciting dinosaur scenes. This was fun to listen to on my mp3 player while walking as I would get lost in the story and even walk faster from the excitement, lol.

No comments: