Thursday, January 15, 2009

Using Google Maps to Plan Walks or Runs

Google maps are really useful for planning walks or runs when you have a specific distance you want to travel. This is a map I made where you can park at the museum, go for a long walk around some of the local parks, gawk at fancy/interesting houses and grab a Second Cup coffee on your way back to the car. I was aiming for around 8 km and not too much walking along busy roads, though I did add a stretch on 124th street for the coffee. There are some really cool houses in the Westmount Architectural Heritage Area, just west of 124th street there.



I entered the museum address for spot A and for B, the address of a location not too far away and then I dragged B over closer to A. Google maps provided a straight line between the two places, which I then dragged all over- the circles are points where I grabbed the line and dragged it over to get to the distance I wanted on a route I wanted to travel. There is a weird line on 107 ave where it juts out East, and I think that must be so you can go to the crosswalk on 107th ave and 124th street before heading south on 123rd street again.